Contract / Client
• self-initiated / MFA Thesis project for Parsons the New School for Design
• Music+Data Visualization Software/Hardware Platform
Scope of work completed:
• design & coding of hardware + software system
• user research, testing, & prototyping physical & digital interfaces
• visual design of music visualization
• design of supporting materials / documentation
Formulator is an ergonomic live performance tool for visual artists enabling gestural control of generative, audio-reactive music visualizations.
The product is designed as a tool for visual artists working with live bands, and it enables its user to create and control generative visuals synced to music using the medium of a live audio signal as the medium for the canvas. The system includes an iPad mini dock that is ergonomically designed for performance, handheld and coupled with a sensor, enabling gestural control of its emergent visuals. By contrast to the most widely used hardware controllers, it facilitates intuitive gestural manipulation of generative rather than loop based elements. The goal of this thesis is to develop a stand alone system with a minimal interface that enables its user to get out from behind the laptop, slider, or knob and into a freely flowing music visualization performance.